loader image

Voting Abroad


Notice to Americans Living in Kuwait.

The US Presidential Election is less than 50 days away, and the deadline is quickly approaching for Americans living abroad to register to vote absentee.  If you are already registered in the state you last resided in in the US, then you can contact your State Election Official, or you may request your ballot through the Federal Post Card Application.  Your prior state residence determines your voting jurisdiction.

 The US Embassy in Kuwait can facilitate mailing your Absentee Ballot or your Federal Post Card Application.  Please read the following Q&A found on the US Embassy Kuwait website.  More info you can contact the Embassy directly at  VoteKuwait@state.gov or  please visit http://www.fvap.gov/vao/materials/ocit-order.


Questions for Overseas Citizens

Can I vote absentee?

You can vote absentee in any election for Federal office if you are a U.S. citizen 18 years or older and are a U.S. citizen residing outside the United States. 

If I do not maintain a legal residence in the U.S., what is my "legal State of residence"?

Your "legal State of residence" for voting purposes is the State or territory where you last resided immediately prior to your departure from the United States. This applies to overseas citizens even though you may not have property or other ties in your last State of residence and your intent to return to that State may be uncertain. 

When completing block 5 of the Voter Registration/Absentee Ballot Requestform, be sure to enter the entire mailing address of your last residence, including rural route and number. That address determines your proper voting jurisdiction. 

Some States allow children of U.S. citizens residing overseas who are U.S. citizens but who have never resided in the U.S., to claim one of their parent's legal State of residence as their own. Visit www.fvap.gov for the list of States that permit this. 

How do I register to vote, or apply for an absentee ballot?

You may register and request an absentee ballot with a single form: The Federal Post Card Application. This application form is accepted by all States and territories and is postage- paid in the U.S. mail, including the Military Postal System and State Department Pouch mail. Hard copies of the form can be obtained from a U.S. embassy or consulate or requested directly from the Federal Voting Assistance Program by contacting us at vote@fvap.gov

An online version of the Voter Registration/Absentee Ballot Request form is also available. The online version of the form must be mailed in an envelope with proper postage, or mailed using our prepaid return envelope. 

Your Voter Registration/Absentee Ballot Request form must be completed, printed, signed, dated and mailed directly to your local election official

Can I register or vote in-person at the embassy or consulate?

There are no provisions for in-person voting or on-site registration at U.S. embassies or consulates. U.S. embassy and consular officials can assist U.S. citizens in completing the Voter Registration/Absentee Ballot Request form or other election materials for their State, witness election materials (if required), and provide other absentee voting information. 

You may mail election materials from U.S. embassies and consulates.  Voter registration and Absentee ballot-related services are provided at the U.S. Embassy in Kuwait. 

Our contact email for voting assistance: VoteKuwait@state.gov

For voting materials, please visit http://www.fvap.gov/vao/materials/ocit-order

Leave a Reply

Subscribe today and never miss out again!